Mittwoch, 25. Mai 2011

It’s Tuesday??

For some reason this fact seemed to completely blow my mind, all afternoon today I was convinced its Monday. It was a sad realization when I found out it was in fact Tuesday and not Monday since that means that we are one day closer to our trip being over. Although I shouldn’t be thinking about that yet since we still have about 10 days left. Still it’s sad to process the fact that at some point this wonderful trip will end.

Today we were observing in another school. This one is called Zollberg Realschule. If you recall from a previous post, a realschule is a school for 5th-10th graders. These are students that didn’t test high enough to get into the upper track, the Gymnasium but also didn’t have scores low enough for them to have to go the Hauptschule.  This realschule is a special sports orientated one. This means that with in their school they have a specific track that students may be placed into which means that they have a great focus on physical education and sports. Although this does not mean that they have to be really into sports or a hard core athlete.
Well once again we were elaborately welcomed into the school. Bettina’s friend, Andrea who works in this realschule had set up drinks, pretzels and pastries for us. It was beyond sweet of her as well as beyond delicious for us. The pretzels, OH MY GOSH, were to too good. There is butter inside the pretzel. Yum! Needless to say I think most of us would admit we ate wayyy to much, but it was just so good.
                                        
First we talked with the principal for awhile. I thought this was interesting because we got a little bit difference sense of what students and parents think about being placed in the realschule instead of the gymnasium.  Obviously parents want their children to be the best they can be and be placed in the best school but realistically not all students will be placed or should be placed in the gymnasium. She told us that often times both parents and students may be bummed out about not being tracked into the gymnasium. But she explained that it would not be the end of the world.  (Although being placed in the even lower track could create a lot of distress for some parents and students). Actually she told us that for some vocations it is better to graduate from a realschule instead of from the gymnasium. This is because the gymnasiums are often more focused on the humanities and languages where as a realschule focuses more on preparing the students for the work force. For an example, in 8th grade they have an intensive week of job shadowing as well as a job fair every year. The fact that some companies would prefer this has changed my view a little bit about the status of realschule and the whole tracking system in general. First I thought that the gymnasium was the best and that was it. But I am starting to see system in some ways is simply more specialized instead of just segregated.
Another thing that she taught us about the structure of the school system was that students that graduate from a realschule still have the option if they make good marks to transfer to gymnasium afterwards. They would not go to a regular gymnasium, most often they would go to a sort of “transfer” gymnasium but after finishing grade 10 at the realschule they would apply to a gymnasium and could continue through grades 11-13. If they pass and get their diploma from there, then they are pretty much open to move on to a university. This flexibility really set my mind at ease a little bit about the German school system. Although it does seem like there is still some stigmas that comes along sending children to one track or the other, so far from what I learned it seems as if students can try to improve and always make better for their selves if they choose to do so. Now, my opinion may change again, I’m not sure. We still have one more school to visit, which if I’m not mistaken is a hauptschule or a simpler type of school. So I will keep you posted with what I find out!
One interesting/ difficult, I can’t decide which, thing about our observations this time around was that we were not placed in English classes this time. For all the other observations we were observing either an English lesson or class (meaning the students were learning English).  I was watching a history class. I really am not exactly sure what they were learning about but it was something about the Romans. The class did a lot group work which was good for me because I was able to walk around and ask the students some questions as they worked. They were 6th grades so most of them knew enough English to talk a little bit. One of the boys asked me if I knew Family Guy and South Park. I thought that was funny. He told me that they didn’t like history and that it was boring. He said that sport was his favorite. The class seemed a little rambunctious which the teacher explained to me was probably mostly because they had just got done with swimming. Also it was the last period of the day, so for 6th graders that’s pretty understandable I think.
Later in the day we went for a run around Esslingen. It felt sooo nice after all the pastries and pretzels we ate at the school. Have to burn off some of those carbs!! For dinner we went to this wine cellar. I’ve discovered I don’t really like wine. Interesting a fact I learned about myself. Which works for me since I’d rather not pay almost 5 dollars for something to drink!
Heading to the realschule tomorrow again and then German bowling in the evening. <3

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen